Installation of a swimming pool involves a lot of things. Owning a pool or renovating the current one isn’t done until there comes the right pool coping. If you want to give your pool the perfect practical finishing, durable making along with the aesthetic looks, then your pool certainly needs pool coping.
Especially coping has more chances to shine at the edges of your favorite pool.
The basic tips like how pool coping works and the best available options for doing it will guide you to select a more sustainable pool border. So, let’s learn more.
What does pool coping mean?
The term coping refers to the protective capping around your pool shell wall. It can give a more finished look and well protection to the wall. In the absence of coping, the bond beam located at the upper surface of your pool wall will remain exposed, and steel being used will be left open. Coping can cover the pool wall and guide water to the deck drain.
Reasons for pool coping
Apart from avoiding splash-out of your pool by directing them to the deck drain, pool coping serves you in some other different ways.
1. Safety for swimmers
The smooth, well-finished edges of coping keeps swimmers protected from cutting their hands or feet while getting in or out of your pool. It also provides the perfect edge to hold on for the swimmers in case they need some rest.
2. Providing a stylish pool
Pool coping is a great way of adding texture to your pool. Thus, it can make your pool a decorative piece. You can use any coping material like brick, limestone, slate, or flagstone to make your pool a unique one.
3. Budget saving
Pool coping helps your pool to keep itself in the best condition. You can make it facing fewer damages with some proper maintenance. Thus, you will need less budget for your pool.
4. Ensuring pool protection
An expertly designed coping can certainly help your swimming pool to maintain its shape. It also ensures to keep the pool wall rigid and straight. It also helps by avoiding any water damage.
5. Clean edges
Due to continuous splashing out of the water at the edges, your pool is more vulnerable to debris growth. Perfectly installed coping can keep leaves, dirt, and grass out of your pool environment.
Materials for pool coping
You can use a variety of coping materials for your swimming pool. Here are the all-possible names:
- Bricks: Bricks coping is one of the most effective ways of your pool coping. They’re available and capable of providing a hardy surface against the possible damages of chlorinated water of your pool. You can have a wide range of varied colors and shapes to choose from as well. They’re also easily replaceable and reinstallable.
- Natural stones: You can bring a natural look to your pool by choosing natural stones like flagstone, granite, or travertine marble as the coping material of your pool. They also ensure amazing durability. These stones are indeed a bit expensive than other options, but again they require very little maintenance and give an aesthetic appeal to the pool
- Pavers: Concrete pavers are similar to bricks. They are sturdy and come in different sizes and finishes. You can easily replace them when required. Paver coping is salt-friendly and water-resistant to ensure maximum protection to your pool edges.
- Composite materials: Precast concrete is a popular composite material. These materials are easily modified and simple to give shapes. You can give these materials curved sections or straight lengths. You can also mortar them piece by piece and seal them afterward for a decent cohesive look. They are durable enough for their salt and water resistance nature,
How to choose the right coping material
While choosing the appropriate coping material for your pool, you need to consider the following factors.
- Durability: Is the material strong enough to withstand pool chemical water or weather extremes in your region? In the case of a saltwater pool, make sure that your pool coping material is salt-resistant.
- Budget: Keep in mind whether the installation of pool coping and its further maintenance or repair is affordable to you.
- Safety: Confirm that the coping material is non-slippery and doesn’t absorb most heat to hurt the swimmers. Install a safer coping at your pool.
- Style: It’s totally up to you. Which material will blend properly with the pool deck, how should be the landscaping view, and all.
In case you own a pool without coping, it’ll remain unsettling and a very potential source of causing danger to pool users or the swimmers. Thus, you need to make yourself familiarized with all possible pool coping options and choose one immediately that’ll fit best with the pool. Then, you can enjoy swimming wholeheartedly.