If you have a pool for a long time on your property, you might want to consider resurfacing your concrete pool deck. The world is changing, and the designs and types of pool decks are changing too. You should always try to keep up to date with that.
You might also need to resurface your pool deck for some small repairs required in your pool.
You don’t even need to empty your pool for resurfacing your concrete pool deck. It is very easy and can be done at an affordable price.
Reasons for Resurfacing pool deck
If you have cracks in your pool deck, then it is a must to resurface your concrete pool deck. But if you want to resurface your pool deck just to maintain the style, then it is completely up to you.
Even if you do not have any cracks in the edge surfaces of your pool deck, you would still need to resurface your pool deck because not resurfacing the pool deck can make the deck edge very slippery as moss and alga go on wet areas. Not cleaning them can lead to accidents and further damage to the deck. And if you already have small cracks, then resurfacing your pool deck has become a must for you because there can be little plants and moss growing in the cracks, which will lead to more damage and more loss in the future. So, resurface your pool deck asap if you have any of the mentioned problems.
Materials used for resurfacing concrete pool
Resurfacing your pool deck requires not many tools. If you are doing the resurfacing work by yourself, then you must make sure to keep the following materials near at hand.
- Pressure washer
- Water source
- Concrete Resurfacer
- Paint roller and extension pole
- Muriatic acid
- Deck brush or scrub brush
- Concrete sealant
- Spray gun hopper
- Cement Color
How to Resurface concrete pool deck
Now, there can be a lot of Pool Deck resurfacing ideas; you have to follow the one that suits your pool deck. You can paint your deck as you like, you can overlay your deck with spray texture, or you can also overlay your pool with stamped concrete. But still, there are some basic steps for resurfacing your concrete pool deck. The steps are-
- Prepare the deck: This step requires fixing or repairing your concrete pool deck edges if needed. You can’t start resurfacing without repairing small holes or cracks in the edges. Also, you should cover your pool with a pool cover to make sure the resurfacing chemicals do not mix with your pool water.
- Clean the deck: Cleaning your deck edge thoroughly is a must before resurfacing. Make sure there is no dirt or stain on the deck. Otherwise, the color or overlay would not look good or would not sit properly on the deck.
- Damp the deck: before resurfacing, you need to damp the area with water and cement paste. This will help the overlay to sit properly.
- Applying the overlay: Apply the pool deck coating on your concrete pool deck with standard cement molding tools thoroughly to the area of resurfacing. But make sure no unwanted stain is left after the coating.
- Sealing the deck: Now, you can give your finishing touch with the style you wanted to follow for resurfacing your pool deck that can be either color or spray or stamping. And you’re all set with your pool deck.
How much does it cost to resurface a concrete pool deck?
Costs of resurfacing your pool deck actually vary from pool styles, types, and sizes. It usually takes about $2,250 to $3,750 to resurface a standard pool deck which can be a 750-square-foot pool deck. On the other hand, a slightly decorative overlay would cost about $5,250 to $9,000. And the most expensive would be doing stamped concrete overlaying because the standard range in this style starts from $6,000 to $15,000.
Maintenance is the key to make your pool deck concrete long-lasting. Once you are done with resurfacing your deck, with the proper maintenance, it can last almost a lifetime. But if somehow your pool deck is damaged, you better not leave it like that, thinking that it’s just a little crack because a little crack in the pool deck can cause big accidents. A few small cracks can happen anytime. You should repair and resurface your pool deck without any delay, even if it is just a crack.